All photographs copyright © Alan Jacobs.

Krematorium II (1)

This is a plaster model of one of the two largest crematoria and gas chambers in the Nazi concentrationary universe, Krematorium II. It operated from March 31, 1943 to November 27, 1944. A wartime Allied aerial reconnaissance photo is at  [link].


To the left are the undressing rooms with numbered pegs with hooks on the wall and prisoners told to remember them after the disinfecting shower.


From the undressing room they went into the gas chamber.


After evacuation from the gas chamber the bodies were taken by lift to the crematorium on the first floor.



Then they were cremated in the ovens.

 



Both Krematoria II, and III had the capacity to burn 1440 corpses a day.